Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Husband built me a raised bed for some veggies! :)

The husband was nice enough to make some time to build (the first of many I hope) a nice raised bed for me.  I guess all in all it's probably around 25 feet long.  I does "L" and to be honest I haven't gotten down to measure it.  I'm sure he would know, and I may ask him at some point if I think of it.  Anyway, he constructed it using decking screws and treated landscape timbers.  It has different depths throughout.  I used old feed sacks as ground cover to keep weeds and grass from coming through.  They seem to work very well and I have an endless supply for free, so why not?  :)

My other raised beds did really well (collards, head lettuce, romaine lettuce, broccoli, onions & strawberries).  I ended up giving everything to the chickens except the strawberries though because right when I needed to take care of some pesky bugs my grandparents got sick and went into the hospital.  That turned out to be the better part of a month long ordeal so my raised beds were put on hold.  I'm not complaining though!  I love my grandparents dearly and I'm so thankful that they're back home and feeling so much better!

I will put up some pics of them when I get everything planted and growing pretty good.  All of these pics are before I put the ground cover (old feed bags) down too.




No comments:

Post a Comment